Briumvi: The Newest Infusion Treatment for RRMSSpecialty Infusion Blog
Have you heard about Briumvi, the newest infusion for adults with relapsing forms of Multiple Sclerosis (RRMS)? The FDA approved Briumvi in December of 2022. Specialty Infusion Centers is among the first ambulatory infusion suite operators to administer Briumvi to patients.
What is Briumvi and how will it benefit your life? We’ve set out to answer these questions and more with this article about the latest MS infusion where we’ll cover everything that can be expected from the process including side effects, effectiveness of the medications, and additional resources to help patients dealing with MS.
What is Briumvi?
Briumvi is an infusion therapy that is indicated for adults with relapsing forms of Multiple Sclerosis (RRMS). In scientific terms, Briumvi is a monoclonal antibody that binds to CD-20 expressing B-cells, removing them from circulation. CD-20 expressing B-cells are abundant in patients with multiple sclerosis, particularly those with active disease. Briumvi binds to CD-20 receptors, deactivating the B cells that would otherwise attack the myelin sheath of the central nervous system.
How is Briumvi administered?
Briumvi is administered through an IV over a duration of 4 hours for the first infusion and 1 hour for all subsequent infusions. Prior to beginning your Briumvi infusion you will receive medications to help mitigate any side effects you may experience. At Specialty Infusion, we do our best to make sure you are provided with the utmost in care and comfort. You will be seated in a comfy reclining leather chair and provided with an iPad or TV for Netflix. Stream your favorite shows and movies while under the constant care of our amazing staff Nurse Practitioners. To read about what to expect from the entire process, check out the “What to Expect” section on our website.
What are the benefits of Briumvi?
While not a cure, overall Briumvi has been clinically proven to reduce symptoms of relapsing forms of MS and improve quality of life. Briumvi does this by helping to decrease the number of relapses and may work toward preventing or delaying disability. In short, Briumvi could give you a better quality of life for longer.
What are the side effects of Briumvi?
Briumvi MS infusion treatment, like all medications and infusions, has possible side effects. It is important to note that not all side effects will happen to everyone who takes a given medication and more severe side effects are often very rare. We’ve compiled a list of the more common side effects for you, so you can know exactly what you might expect from a Briumvi infusion treatment;
- Itchy skin
- Wheezing / Trouble breathing
- Feeling Faint
- Abdominal Pain
- Flu-like symptoms
- Swelling of the tongue or throat / Throat irritation
- Rapid heartbeat
- Redness of the face or skin / Hives
These reactions can happen over the period of 24 hours following the completion of your infusion. While they may not all be life-threatening, it is still important that you contact your doctor or one of our Nurse Practitioners if you get these or any other symptoms you feel could be related as a side effect to your infusion in order to rule out any potential changes in therapy that may be needed, such as slowing, lowering, or stopping your dose.
Living with relapsing forms of Multiple Sclerosis (MS) can be an unpredictable and arduous experience. MS is a chronic autoimmune disease that affects the central nervous system, causing a range of symptoms that can vary in severity and duration. Relapsing forms of MS are characterized by periods of relapse or flare-ups, followed by periods of remission. Here are some tips for managing and coping with relapsing forms of MS:
- Educate yourself: Learn as much as you can about your condition, including symptoms, treatments, and lifestyle modifications that can help manage your symptoms. Consult with your healthcare provider and seek out reputable sources of information.
- Stay active: Exercise and physical activity can help maintain strength, mobility, and overall health. Talk to your healthcare provider about safe and appropriate exercise options.
- Manage stress: Stress can exacerbate MS symptoms, so it’s important to find ways to manage stress levels. This can include relaxation techniques, such as deep breathing and meditation, as well as engaging in activities that promote relaxation, such as yoga or Tai Chi.
- Eat a healthy diet: A balanced and nutritious diet can help support overall health and wellness. Aim to eat a variety of fruits, vegetables, lean protein, and whole grains, and limit processed foods and saturated fats.
- Seek support: Living with relapsing forms of MS can be emotionally challenging. Seek out support from family, friends, or support groups for people with MS. Talking to others who are experiencing similar challenges can be helpful.
- Manage symptoms: Work with your healthcare provider to develop a management plan for your symptoms, including medications, physical therapy, and other therapies.
- Plan for the future: Living with relapsing forms of MS can be unpredictable, so it’s important to plan for the future. This can include financial planning, making adjustments to your living environment, and considering long-term care options.
Living with relapsing forms of MS can be challenging, but it’s important to remember that there are resources and support available. By staying informed, staying active, managing stress, and seeking support, you can manage your symptoms and maintain a good quality of life.
Speaking of resources, the Briumvi website has a wonderful resources page packed with information to help you adjust to receiving your new infusion therapy. If you need support, or have any questions leading up to, during, or after your treatment we are always here for you.
Looking to get started on your Briumvi Infusion journey? You’re in excellent hands with Specialty Infusion. We don’t just administer infusions, we care for the whole person. Come experience the difference with our top-notch care.